An interactive number square for whole-class teaching.
- Y1: Pupils should be taught to:
- count to and across 100, forwards and backwards, beginning with 0 or 1, or from any given number
- count, read and write numbers to 100 in numerals; count in multiples of 2s, 5s and 10s
- given a number, identify 1 more and 1 less
- add and subtract one-digit and two-digit numbers to 20, including 0
- Y2: Pupils should be taught to:
- count in steps of 2, 3, and 5 from 0, and in 10s from any number, forward and backward
- recognise the place value of each digit in a two-digit number (10s, 1s)
- identify, represent and estimate numbers using different representations, including the number line
- read and write numbers to at least 100 in numerals and in words
In Year 1? Why not press 'Hide All' and then reveal each number all the way to 100. Then try backwards.
In Year 1? Why not press 'Hide All' and then count forwards and backwards in 10s from any number.
In Year 2? Press the 'Puzzle' button and ask the children to draw and complete the missing boxes on their drywipeboards.
Open this resource in two browser tabs. Split the class into two teams. Give each child a number square. Using a pair of dice, roll numbers to race from 50 back to zero.
In Year 3+? Twist the dial backwards to use the grid with negative numbers.